Think first then dial
Triple Zero
Police, Fire, Ambulance
in an emergency
131 444
Police Assistance Line
for non-urgent police assistance
1800 333 000
Crime Stoppers
report crime anonymously

Private investigator and security guard licences

Private investigators, security guards and crowd controllers must hold a licence. This is required under the Security and Investigation Industry Act 1995.

Crowd controllers working in licensed premises also need approval. This is required under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997.

How to apply for a licence

The Office of Consumer and Business Services issues licences and approvals for:

  • security guards and private investigators
  • crowd controllers.

Apply for security and private investigator licence

Apply for crowd controller approval on the Consumer and Business Services website.

Processing your application

Finger printing and integrity checking is undertaken by the South Australia Police Licensing Enforcement Branch for Consumer and Business Services.

Important counter terrorism information

A new publication developed by Consumer and Business Services and SAPOL is now available on counter terrorism awareness, prevention, preparedness and response for private security personnel.


Consumer and Business Services
Phone 131 882

SAPOL's Licensing Enforcement Branch
Phone 8218 2660