Crime and disorder within the community is often influenced by legal and illegal drug use.
Legal and illegal drugs include:
South Australia Police works to minimise the harm of drug use by:
- reducing supply
- reducing demand
- reducing drug related harm.
By minimising harm, outcomes for everyone in the community are improved.
Alcohol and drugs response
We reduce demand by:
- diverting illicit drug users into treatment programs.
We reduce supply by:
- targeting the manufacture of illegal drugs
- disrupting the market for selling drugs and dealing on the street
- monitoring the diversion of chemicals and equipment and investigating their use for making illegal drugs.
We reduce harm by:
- focusing on the impact of substance abuse on local communities
- enforcing road safety by conducting random roadside breath and saliva tests
- enforcing licensing requirements at places where alcohol is sold.
Email South Australia Police
National Drug Strategy 2010-2015
South Australian Alcohol and Other Drug Strategy 2011-2016