Think first then dial
Triple Zero
Police, Fire, Ambulance
in an emergency
131 444
Police Assistance Line
for non-urgent police assistance
1800 333 000
Crime Stoppers
report crime anonymously

Hydroponics licences

You need a licence before you can operate or work in a business involved in the sale of prescribed hydroponics equipment.

This is required under the Hydroponics Industry Control Act 2009

How to apply for a hydroponics licence

You can apply for a hydroponics licence online.

Complete the form and pay via Bizgate

Once your application and payment have been received the Licensing Enforcement Branch will contact you.

Hydroponics industry personal information declaration

A personal information declaration is sent to you when you apply for a hydroponics licence.

To complete the declaration go to a police station to have your photograph and fingerprints taken.

Find your local police station

Required information

You may need to provide the following information.

Your personal details

  • full name, current address, phone numbers
  • place of birth if born in Australia.

If you were born outside of Australia your:

  • Australian citizenship certificate or passport number if you have Australian citizenship
  • place of birth, passport or identity number if you do not have Australian citizenship.

Your family details

  • parents and step-parents
  • full, half and step-brothers and sisters
  • partner whether or not they live with you
  • partner's parents
  • partner's full, half and step-brothers and sisters
  • children aged 18 years and over
  • other people that live with you.

Your address history

  • current address
  • previous addresses for the last 10 years.

This does not apply if you were under 18 years of age at the time you lived overseas.

Your offence history

Criminal offences

Provide details about any offences against you in Australia or overseas. Include any offences committed before the age of 18 years.

You must provide certified copies of your offence history from each country you have lived in.
You do not need to include offences dealt with through the Family Court or a caution in Australia or overseas.

Expiation notices

Provide details about any expiation notices issued in Australia. Include:

  • traffic offences
  • shoplifting
  • drug, tobacco
  • liquor
  • environmental.

Any offence you have been charged or reported for which:

  • has not been to court
  • is currently before the court.
Disciplinary actions

Provide details of any disciplinary:

  • action, fines or disqualification
  • proceedings outstanding against you.

Include disciplinary action issued by a Tribunal, Board or other authority in Australia or overseas.

Ministerial exemptions

You can apply for an exemption if you have a legal reason for using prescribed hydroponics equipment.

Applications for an exemption are made to the Minister for Police.

Complete the ministerial exemption form online.

This is allowed under the Hydroponics Industry Control Act 2009


Licensing Enforcement Branch
Phone 08 7322 3342

Related information

Hydroponics prescribed equipment

Hydroponics Industry Control Act 2009

Hydroponics Industry Control Regulations 2010

Overview of the Hydroponics Industry Control Act 2009