The primary objective of Drug Investigation Branch is to detect and disrupt crimes involving illicit drugs in South Australia by the implementation of strategies based on the SAPOL Corporate Business Plan, and the adoption of the strategies and principles outlined in the South Australia Policing Model, including Crime Reduction and Problem Solving Strategies, Core Structures and Core Strategies.
Drug Investigation Branch has a local, state and national responsibility for:
- The investigation of complex and serious drug investigations.
- Provision of leadership in the management of drug investigations throughout the State.
- Working in partnership with National and State Law Enforcement Agencies to investigate serious drug offences.
- Identify Best Practice in drug investigative processes for investigations throughout SAPOL and other Law Enforcement Agencies;
- Work in partnership with Local Service Area's in particular Operation Mantle teams to investigate drug offending and disrupt drug activities;
- Provide leadership to external agencies in the management of illicit drugs and the identification of harm minimisation strategies;
- Identify opportunities for legislative change and provide leadership for change;
- Provide specialist advice to Crime Training Section in the development of improved Drug Investigation practices;
- Work in partnership with Drug & Alcohol Policy Section to highlight opportunities for improved harm minimisation strategies.