11 Jun 2019 4:00pm
Thousands of drivers state-wide were stopped by police during a long weekend traffic blitz.
One person died and five suffered serious injuries in crashes which occurred across South Australia during the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend.
Inspector Damien Epps, the acting officer in charge of the SA Police Traffic Support Branch, said Operation Long Weekend took place from 12.01am on Friday 7 June until midnight last night.
“Police were focused on preventing high risk behaviour that contributes to deaths and serious injuries on our roads, but we can’t be everywhere all the time,” he said.
Unfortunately a 74-year-old Riverland man died about 12.15pm on Friday after his car and a truck collided at the intersection of Sturt Highway and Diagonal Road at Annadale.
A 44-year-old man from Mitchell Park remains in a critical condition after being struck by a vehicle while walking on the footpath along Military Road at West Beach on Monday.
The investigation by Major Crash into the incident, in which a man and a boy on bicycles were also struck, is ongoing and includes an examination of whether the driver of the van, a 55-year-old man from Fulham suffered a medical episode prior to the crash.
Over the weekend 8547 drivers were required to undergo a alcohol breath test – with 38 returning a result above the legal limit, while of the 865 drivers drug tested, 87 returned a positive result.
A total of 837 drivers were detected speeding statewide, while 54 were caught using their mobile phone while driving and 37 having failed to do up their seatbelt.
The state’s road toll currently stands at 54 compared with 35 at the same time last year.
Inspector Epps said police would continue to have a high-profile response to road safety, but asked that all road users considered their actions to ensure the safety of all.